As it launches a multi-year effort to develop a Comprehensive Housing Strategy, the Town of Mooresville will host a Community Open House this Tuesday, June 30, from 5 – 7 p.m. at the Charles Mack Citizen Center, 215 N. Main Street in downtown Mooresville. Realtors®, home builders, and anyone else interested in the Town’s future growth are invited to stop in anytime during the event to share their thoughts on the types of housing that will be needed in the decades ahead.
As Mooresville prepares for growth that is expected to double its current population by 2020, the community-based Comprehensive Housing Strategy will evaluate the Town’s existing housing stock, its projected rate of population and job growth, and its economic development goals, to develop a plan for overcoming gaps and barriers in providing the housing needed to accommodate future demand.
A pilot program created through the CONNECT Our Future regional planning initiative, the initiative is funded by public and private dollars, including support from the Charlotte Regional REALTOR® Association (CRRA) and the National Association of Realtors® (NAR).
When a Community‐based Housing Strategy is in place, the Town of Mooresville will be able to:
- Match housing goals to the needs of specific housing market segments and provide a clear
path for implementing those goals;
- Build public and elected official awareness of housing challenges and opportunities and
build public/political will to support solutions acceptable within the community;
- Provide continuity to goal‐directed housing efforts as new officials are elected;
- Work more effectively with REALTORS®, home builders and developers, streamlining
approval processes aligned with housing goals, reducing risk and enhancing predictability;
- Help develop better quality housing that meets their community goals for current and
- Support residents’ quality of life through life‐cycle housing that enables aging in place.
A Community Steering Committee will meet monthly through next Spring to define the Town’s housing needs, explore strategies for addressing projected growth, and select options that preserve Mooresville’s character while ensuring an adequate supply of housing is available for buyers at all income levels and stages of life.
As a partner in the CONNECT Housing Work Group, REBIC will work closely with Centralina and the Town of Mooresville to ensure the success of the Housing Strategy effort, in the hopes that it will serve as a model for other communities around the Charlotte Region.